Country information Canada
Health insurance for foreign au pairs in Canada
An au pair stay in Canada can be a big step in the development of your personality. During your au pair stay in Canada you live and work with your host family, look after their children and do simple housework. You can use the time you spend as an au pair in Canada to improve your English and French language skills, to get familiar with the Canadian culture and to experience the variety of Canadian nature.
Maybe your au pair stay in Canada will inspire you to start studying in Canada or to visiting Canada periodically as a guest after you will have returned home.
Canada has no national au pair program. If you want to become an au pair in Canada you have to apply for a Working Holiday Maker visa. You have to fulfill following conditions to apply for the Working Holiday Maker visa in Canada:
Here you can find detailed informations about International Experience Canada.
- you have to be between 18 and not more than 30 years of age
- you have to be single (not married) without children
- you have to prove sufficient savings (2,500 CAD for most countries) and a return ticket
- you have to apply for a Working Holiday Maker visa for the first time
- you have to have basic English or French language skills
- you have to be a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Ukraine or Great Britain
Legal basics about health insurance for au pairs in Canada
The Candian health care system consists of 13 provincial and territorial health care insurance plans. The benefits in the provinces are almost the same. The statutory health insurance in Canada has only a limited coverage, for instance medically prescribed medications and transports are not covered.
The statutory health care system in Canada is in general only available for Canadian citizens and foreigners with permanent resident status. As an foreign au pair in Canada you have to take out an insurance in your own initiative.
Every country has its own health care system. On the basis of characteristics like your home country, the duration of your stay, the reason of your stay and the destination of your trip different needs for health insurance appear. Our organistion recommends Care Concept AG from Germany for health insurance solutions abroad. Click here for further informations about Care Concept AG.
As an au pair in Canada you are not insured through the statutory health insurance in your home country. Furthermore, as an au pair in Canada you are not insured through the statutory health insurance system in Canada. It is your duty to get a suitable health insurance to cover any medical costs incurred during your stay in Canada. For foreign au pairs in Canada we recommend the health insurance Care Discover.
Au pair in Canada from Germany and Austria
Foreign au pairs in Canada from Germany and Austria can check out special health insurance solutions.
Topics about Canada
Au-pair in Canada
Working in Canada
Studying in Canada
Internships in Canada
Foreign Language Students in Canada