Country information Canada
Health insurance for foreign interns in Canada
An internship in Canada can be an effective way to improve your language skills in English and French. Furthermore, Canada is one of the world’s wealthiest nations and successful in various industries. As an intern in Canda you can improve your professional skills as well as your intercultural competence. It should be not too difficult to make friends during your internship in Canada as Canada is considered one of the friendliest countries in the world.
Who knows, maybe an internship in Canada will arrouse your interest in studying in Canada or starting a job in Canada later?
There are two different ways to enter Canada for an internship:
- Working Holiday: work permit for young adults for a max. of 12 months.
- Internship: work permit for a max. of 12 months for foreign students who are enrolled in a higher education institution abroad and already have an internship contract.
You have to fulfil following conditions to apply for the Working Holiday Maker visa in Canada:
- you have to be between 18 and not more than 30 years of age
- you have to be single without children
- you have to prove sufficient savings (2,500 CAD for most countries) and a return ticket
- you have to apply for a Working Holiday Maker visa for the first time
- you have to have basic English or French language skills
- you have to be a citizen of one of the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Ukraine or Great Britain
Here you can find detailed informations about International Experience Canada.
International Co-op Internship program:
The International Co-op Internship program is designed for foreign students who are enrolled in a higher education institution and desire to complete an internship in Canada for a max. of 12 months.
If you want to participate in an internship program in Canada you must apply for a study permit as well as for a work permit. For more information on the study permit please check out Study in Canada.
To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following requirements:
- you must have a valid study permit
- your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada
- your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution
- your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study
Here you can find detailed information about the International Co-op Internship program.
Legal basics about health insurance for interns in France
The statutory health care system in Canada is in general only available for Canadian citizens and foreigners with permanent resident status. As an Intern in Canda you have no acces to the statutory Canadian health insurance. For the period of your internship in Canada you need a valid travel health insurance, which you already have to take out in your home country.
Every country has its own health care system. On the basis of characteristics like your home country, the duration of your stay, the reason of your stay and the destination of your trip different needs for health insurance appear. Our organistion recommends Care Concept AG from Germany for health insurance solutions abroad. Click here for further informations about Care Concept AG.
As an intern in Canada you are not insured through the statutory health insurance in your home country. Furthermore, as an intern in Canada you are not insured through the Canadian national health insurance system. It is your duty to get a suitable health insurance to cover any medical costs incurred during your stay in Canada. For foreign interns in Canada we recommend the health insurance Care Discover.
Interns in Canada from an Germany and Austria
Interns in Canada from Germany and Austria can check out special health insurance solutions.
Topics about Canada
Au-pair in Canada
Working in Canada
Studying in Canada
Guests in Canada
Internships in Canada
Foreign Language Students in Canada