Country information Canada

Health insurance for foreign language students in Canada

health insurance language students canada

Canada is a special place for language students. As a language student in Canada you can study English as a second language (ESL) and French as a second language (FSL) in one country, because both are official languages. The offer for foreign language students in Canda consists largely of ESL schools across the country. Most of FSL schools are located in the French speaking province of Quebec.

Beeing a language student in Canada is quite popular. Canada is a wealthy country with a great hospitality and a good education system. Language students in Canada benefit not only from the two official languages, but also from the richness of nature and variety of the world’s second largest country. Maybe your time as a language student in Canada will inspire you to start studying in Canada, to apply for an internship in Canada or to take up a job in Canada in the future.

Eligible group

Depending on your language school program, the length of your stay in Canada and your country of origin you might need a visitors visa, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a study permit in order to become a language student in Canada.

If you take up a language study in Canada of up to six months you will not need a study permit. Depending on your country of origin and the way you enter Canada you might need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitors visa for Canada. You can check out online whether you need a visa or an eTA.

If you take up a language study in Canada with a duration of more than six months you will need a study permit. You can check out the requirements you need to meet in order to get a study permit for Canada in our information about study in Canada.

Please note, that if you start a language school program in Canada of six months or less, but plan to continue your studies in another program following the short-term program, you must apply for a study permit before your trip to Canada.

Legal basics about health insurance for language students in Canada

As a foreign language student in Canada you must have a health insurance. The Canadian health insurance solutions for language students vary from province to province. In general the Canadian health insurance plans have a very limited cover. Costs for drug treatment an medical transports are often not covered in health insurance plans. Furthermore, the scope of the health insurance is limited to one province or territory. So if you want to visit an adjacent province you might need a additional travel health insurance.

Insurance advice

Every country has its own health care system. On the basis of characteristics like your home country, the duration of your stay, the reason of your stay and the destination of your trip different needs for health insurance appear. Our organistion recommends Care Concept AG from Germany for health insurance solutions abroad. Click here for further informations about Care Concept AG.

For language students in Canada we recommend taking out a travel health insurance, since you will not be insured through the statutory health insurance in your home country. We recommend the Care Discover product for language students in Canada, at 1.39 € per day. Click here for more information about the health insurance Care Discover.

Language students in Canada from an Germany and Austria

Language students in Canada from Germany and Austria can check out special health insurance solutions.

Topics about Canada

Au-pair in Canada

Working in Canada

Studying in Canada

Guests in Canada

Internships in Canada

Foreign Language Students in Canada

ISPA e.V. - Ecke Links untenISPA e.V. - Ecke Links UntenISPA e.V. - Bogen rechts UntenISPA - Ecke rechts Unten
Imprint | Home | Sitemap